In the lecture, we will focus on the common uses of AI today in the field of dentistry – in diagnosis, treatment planning, and creation of a “virtual patient”; we will examine various AI tools available in the global market today; and we will answer, with the help of studies from around the world, the question: Is dental AI mature enough to serve as an independent diagnostic tool, or should the doctor use it as a decision support system, taking into account the medico-legal aspects of using AI – for better or worse.
Aims and Objectives:
- In the lecture, basic concepts of AI and ML will be explained, together with their current and possible uses in the daily practice.
- AI-assisted diagnostic and visualisation modalities for CBCT, OPG, and full-mouth intraoral series will be thoroughly presented using real-life clinical cases.
- The participants will achieve basic understanding of artificial intelligence and machine learning in general, and their uses in medicine and dentistry.
- The participants will understand common use cases of AI in dentistry as:
- A decision-support system, enabling the choice of the correct treatment pathway.
- A treatment-planning tool, enabling clear visualisation and easy measurement towards the planned procedure.
- A powerful marketing tool, increasing treatment plan acceptance and patient compliance.